Skip to content

Putting Green Tea in Coffee

August 5, 2012

People are usually either coffee people or tea people. Agent Cooper loves his coffee, while Kevin Rose is obsessed with tea. America drowns itself in coffee, while England sits down for a cup of tea.

What is stopping anyone from being both a coffee person and a tea person? Come to think of it, what is stopping anyone from drinking coffee and tea at the same time? Let’s find out:

We’ll do this Tassimo-style. PC’s new dark roast is one of my favourite coffees for the wasteful little machine, and I was given some green tea by Twinings, which by its very name implies it is supposed to be twinned with something else.

I got a big cup and brewed (er, “brewed”) one after the other. Unfortunately, the machine seemed to sense a disturbance, realizing that a black magic violation of the natural coffee / tea separation was about to happen, threatening to tear a hole in the fabric of spacetime and usher in a world where cats play with dogs, fire is made of water, and Canada wins plenty of gold medals at the Olympics.

It voiced its disapproval with the dreaded four blinky lights.

Luckily, the damage was already done. The unholy union of coffee and green tea sat in my cup, looking like…well, coffee.

The taste is not entirely terrible. It’s┬álike green tea that’s too bitter, or dark coffee that’s too watered down. I was happy to drink the whole thing, but I don’t feel compelled to do it again. Still, I’m happy that I’ve managed to bridge the gap between coffee and tea. If only all of us could put aside our┬ápreconceived┬ánotions and jam disparate things together, the world would be a better place. That’s what this blog is all about, really. You’re welcome.

About these ads
13 Comments leave one →
  1. August 5, 2012 1:05 pm

I think you have just ushered in the Age of Aquarius

2. August 5, 2012 2:08 pm

I think you went through this too lazily. I would redo the whole experiment with some really heavily brewed tea (making it as strong as possible) with a very intense aroma so as to be able to put as little as possible into the coffee. After all, smell is what tea is all about at least compared to coffee. Then a mix of 50 ml tea and 150 ml coffee would probably work much better. And you can experiment further with the mixing ratios until you get the best result.

3. August 7, 2012 10:17 am

Tea. Earl Grey. Coffee.

4. Anonymous permalink
    August 22, 2012 8:43 am

In fact I found your post after sampling a little coffee in my usual morning green tea on a whim – and found it delicious, if hideously under-represented on the interwebs,

The key is to use half a tea-spoon of instant coffee (none of your fancy machines here, I’m afraid!) while brewing the tea (lemon-infused green tea tasted even better, after a little further experimentation), with tremendous results!

5. September 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Chai tea latte. It’s on the menu EVERYWHERE. Even though some “baristas” don’t know how to make it (I’m looking at you, Coffee Culture).

6. Mark Allen permalink
    May 31, 2013 4:57 am

I’ve tried this recently as green tea is known to aid weight loss n coffee speeds up ur metabolism, so I thought let’s try out n see what happens, I use a green tea teabag n 2 teaspoons of famous supermarket coffee leave it for 3 mins to brew and I can actually say it tastes ok, I’ll keep trying it to see if I get any results and will report back in a month, by the way I also go to gym n cardio, so I’m not just relying on this mixture to lose weight

7. Steff Allen permalink
    January 8, 2014 1:54 am

Hi Everyone

I am Mark’s wife. My Husband died 5 days into that experiment.

• January 18, 2014 11:01 am

Can’t tell if you’re serious, but umm, hope not.

8. tlblakburne permalink
    January 28, 2014 8:16 am

I just heard of this union on the J. Tesh Show, and had to give it a try. I brewed my coffee just little stronger than usual. I poured me a large cup of joe, and then placed a standard sized bag of green tea in cup. After steeping a couple minutes of steeping I removed, wrapped, and then discarded bag. It does taste fairly good. The tea seems to take the edge of the robust flavor of coffee. Will experiment further

9. kris permalink
    May 6, 2014 6:46 am

I made myself a cup of coffee and added white chocolate matcha ganache into it. I guess that sorta counts as coffee green tea, eh?

Anyhoo, it tasted nice, and would be much nicer if it were sweeter!

10. June 4, 2014 10:41 pm

Tea and Coffee together is very common in Asia, especially Hong Kong where it is known as a Yuanyang or yinyang. It is made with black tea and coffee then with milk or often with sweetened condensed milk. I recommend you give that a try, it is delicious especially over ice on a hot day :)

11. Joseph permalink
    September 18, 2014 12:33 pm

no tastes like sewage…. just tried it… it is the kind of flavour you would expect to find at the bottom of a black 30G garbage bag after having a weeks worth of trash liquifying and dripping into a cesspool of ungodliness at the bottom of the basin…

12. Robert permalink
    October 20, 2014 8:06 pm

I brew a keurig light roast k-cup of coffee with a green tea bag in it and let it steep for three minutes before removing the tea bag and adding some unsweetened almond milk. I drink up to six cups (9.5 oz ea) of coffee daily (only the first two are full strength, the rest decaf). They say you should drink up to ten cups of green tea daily. So, I combine six green tea with coffee in this way with (four full strength, with two decaf) and have four more straight (decaf). So, ten teas and six coffees are reduced to ten cups (95 oz) throughout the day, with only the caffeine of about three coffees (or one to two Starbucks) in the morning. Of course, most days I don’t get all those in, maybe only having half of my goal….