Skip to content

Coke and Coffee

July 28, 2013

photography-seanings-edmonton-canada-sean-williams-artdirection-art-direction-coffee-drug-drugs-food-cocaine_900

As in Coca Cola, not cocaine, you scumbag.

A few years ago, Coke released a coffee-flavoured brand of cola: Coca-Cola BlāK. For the weeks between being released and being executed by an angry mob of tastebuds, I drank it as much as possible. I don’t like pop to begin with, so it was at least an improvement. I mourned its loss for years, until today, when I had the brilliant revelation that coffee and Coke are both readily available.

IMG_1207

Putting Coffee in Coke:

I went with about 2/3 Coke and 1/3 coffee, over ice, in a Crown Royal glass for some reason.

IMG_1214

This is not bad. Not all that different from how I remember BläK tasting. It’s hard to get over the feeling that you’re drinking two things at once rather than a single drink, but I could get used to it.

It does get watered down due to the ice required to keep it cold. What if I could combine the flavours without that pesky coldness? Which leads to…

Putting Coke in Coffee:

IMG_1217

I decided to take it all the way and prepare hot coffee with cream and sweetener before adding about 1/4 of a mug Coke.

This is … more interesting. The Coke and the sweetener engaged in some kind of audible chemical reaction that sounded like a bomb about to go off, then formed a froth of pure sweetness on top of the coffee. The froth tasted pretty good, but the coffee itself just took on the flavour of flat, bitter Coke.

Some people are really into Coke (my girlfriend drinks more of it than I drink coffee), but I just don’t get it. It’s a brown liquid of nonspecific flavour, with bubbles added so that every sip is an IOU for a burp or a fart. I tried to let it hang with coffee, but I’d rather the Coke just kept its nose out of it.

About these ads
13 Comments leave one →
  1. July 28, 2013 8:24 pm

You are a brave man

2. Miss Spellings permalink
    August 3, 2013 6:12 pm

“…executed by an angry mob of the >>>pubic’s<<< tastebuds…" <— was that INTENTIONAL ? LOL!! :P

• August 3, 2013 6:26 pm

Hahaha, not at all. Gross. I’ve corrected it. Thank you!

• Anonymous permalink
        October 27, 2013 11:02 pm

i want to try it it looks nice

• Anonymous permalink
        October 27, 2013 11:03 pm

i want it all it all over me

3. December 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Years ago, back in the mid-1990s, one of my co-workers would arrive at work every morning, walk straight to the coffee machine and fill up a large mug half way with coffee. No cream, no sugar — just black coffee. She’d then walk over to the drink machine, buy a can of Pepsi, and fill the mug the rest of the way with the Pepsi.

I never tried it, but she assured me that it tasted nothing like what I would expect, and it helped her immensely in getting her rump into gear for the work-day that lay ahead. Just regular coffee wouldn’t cut it, apparently. Neither would just consuming regular Pepsi. The mixture of the two, in roughly equal parts, was somehow required for zipping her into work-day mode.

She did this every single morning of the 4+ years I worked with her. She claimed she had been turned on to the practice by a college roommate, about 10 year prior, who also used to do it as a regular morning ritual.

I always thought she was just a touch insane, myself. The idea of mixing a decent cup of coffee and a sugary soft-drink together seems to me to be nothing be repugnant.

4. January 13, 2014 12:25 am

Ooh I be loving your site. I am a coffee fiend myself and once tried out of boredom tea and coffee mixed. Dont is my feedback. Tea people and coffee people is something I have been researching and how I came to your site. Coffee is dark sexy and good looking and tea is kind of well beige. I dont get on with tea folk! Although Lady Grey is aroma heaven. I cant wait to read the rest of your site.

5. [Possible spam name] permalink
    January 16, 2014 5:50 am

Wow sound really nice. I will try also this kind of stuff. Probably i am coffee lover.

6. Anonymous permalink
    January 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Problem: Hot coffee being watered down by melted ice.
    Solution: Don’t use ice or HOT coffee. Plan ahead. Brew your coffee, chill it in the fridge or freezer (don’t forget about it unless you want coffee ice cubes), then mix it with your coke.
    Holy crap that gives me a brilliant idea. Make coffee ice cubes to chill your hot coffee. I like coffee but not hot coffee. Doing it now.

7. Anonymous permalink
    April 15, 2014 8:56 pm

When I was a teenager, I worked late at night as a waiter at a pub. Instead of feeling left out when my older customers ordered their shift drinks, I would take a pint glass with a few ice cubes, fill it 2/3 of the way with hot black coffee, wait for the ice to melt and then add a head of coca-cola. It looked identical to a beer if assembled properly. I would get double takes from my co-workers who knew I was underage. Taste-wise it was dark, bitter and sweet in a strange way. Probably not for everybody.

8. Anonymous permalink
    April 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Coffee+NestléCoffemate+COKE= Boom Panis!!!

9. CALynn permalink
    May 3, 2014 12:27 pm

Just came across your blog after watching “Intermission” last night. Glad to see someone tried it themselves, and liked it. Your writing style and sense of humor are very entertaining. Not much of a cola drinker, but I’ve enjoyed Kahlua and Coke many a time, Coffee and coke is a natural combo to me.