Skip to content

Toasted Rice Coffee

June 9, 2010

A reader named Dahae sent the following email suggestion:

[…] what about putting rice in your coffee?
Rice is sweet.
If you toast the uncooked form and put it in your coffee filter along with the coffee beans, its sweetness might go well with coffee.

Sounds logical. Plus, putting rice in green tea has long been a staple of ancient Japanese wise-men and all-you-can eat sushi joints. Why not in coffee?

I sprinkled some uncooked rice in a frying pan, added just a tiny bit of butter, and toasted it over medium heat, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes.

It filled the kitchen with a very pleasant toasty-sweet smell. Even if it ends up tasting like burned garbage, this technique will be useful for making the place smell good when guests come over.

I tried it black first. Now see, the thing is, coffee is already just toasted beans. So it’s a bit hard to distinguish the toasted rice flavour from the toasted bean flavour. However, it did seem to have a stronger, darker taste than it should have, and there was just a hint of a that ricey sweetness.

To enhance that sweetness, I added some brown sugar. Brown, because the rice was brown, so uh, that made sense somehow. The taste is still subtle, but there’s something different going on there, and it’s not bad.

But to hell with subtlety. Let’s see what happens when we just dump the rice directly in the coffee.

As soon as I added the coffee, that smell came back with a vengeance. Nice.

Some of the rice floats on top, so you get a few grains in each sip. Thus, that toasted rice taste is right in your face now. It absorbed the coffee, so it’s softer than uncooked rice, but the toasting leaves it with a bit of crunch.

This is actually quite good. When you can get over the weirdness of sipping down solid bits (as with the Chia Pet Coffee), it’s got a pretty cool texture, and a very rich, dark, smokey taste. If that sounds good, I fully recommend giving this a try.

P.S. This is PWTIC’s 30th post! It also just passed its one year anniversary! Yay! I don’t think I’ve even mentioned it before, but there is a PWTIC store with some sweet-ass mugs and other stuff. I know they’re overpriced, but if you like the site, consider it a donation that nets you a free mug. Then maybe one day I can afford a real camera (ok, or a new iPhone, which has a pretty good camera).

P.P.S. Next week is Cheese Week! It’s like Shark Week, except with cheese instead of sharks, and coffee instead of the ocean. Stay tuned.

Advertisements
14 Comments leave one →
  1. eddie permalink
    June 11, 2010 5:07 am

OMG Ocean Coffee!!!!1

2. June 12, 2010 5:07 am

Wow! Thanks for taking my suggestion! I’m honored!

3. June 13, 2010 10:01 pm

Disturbing and gross but seemingly amusing. Why can’t I stop looking?

Mind if I add you to my blog roll?

4. June 14, 2010 12:59 pm

I would be honoured if you added me to your blog roll. Thanks!

5. June 16, 2010 1:15 pm

Phronk, I think you need to try this again with crushed/milled (toasted) rice. You wouldn’t brew whole coffee beans, would you? Then why would you brew whole rice kernels? Treat the kernels just like beans: roast them, grind them, brew them (with coffee beans too). I think you’ll end up with a cloudy starchy cup of awesome.

Also, yeah I’ll add you to my blogroll too.

6. June 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Something like this is on the to-do list. I’ve heard of “rice coffee” that is just roasted rice ground up and brewed (no actual coffee). I’ll try it with and without the bean coffee.

7. February 3, 2011 2:44 pm

Might try this with peri peri rice..for a chilli kick!

8. May 16, 2011 12:39 am

I am an Asian and my grand parents used to make coffee out of rice. They toast until it’s almost black and then they add water. Voila that’s their old school coffee. I love your blog, btw. I am addicted to coffee myself, but I am not as brave as you are. 🙂

9. Anonymous permalink
    September 7, 2012 12:02 am

I am also Asian i love so much the rice coffee coz the aroma is different to other coffee

10. Anonymous permalink
    February 26, 2015 6:35 am

thanks for the information

11. Anonymous permalink
    February 26, 2015 6:36 am

fuck you

12. Dyra Suwandi permalink
    August 22, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi there! You could also try the Indonesian (Javanese) Rice coffee: roasting rice grains along with the coffee beans. It gives a little sweetness and makes the coffee a bit less bitter. It’s used in Indonesia like Chicory in New Orleans.

13. September 21, 2015 6:18 pm

Well done. Rice has no caffeine so you get the benefits from the rice which is full of nutrients and vitamins. You can do the same with coffee beans too. That’s why most people buy coffee or rice coffee, it takes away the preparing process and lets you have your coffee without the mess. I prefer Banna Blend Rice Coffee.

14. September 21, 2015 6:20 pm

Instant Rice Coffee is also plentiful throughout Asia, China, Japan, India and the Philippines.