Skip to content

Coffee Logic: Peanut Butter

April 18, 2009

Let’s be logical about this.

• Premise 1: Peanut butter tastes good with chocolate.

• Premise 2: Chocolate tastes good with coffee.
  • Conclusion: Peanut butter tastes good with coffee.

I put my logic to the test this morning. Here is the recipe: 1 mug of coffee, 1 pack of sweetener (no sugar, thanks, I’m on a diet), and 1 tablespoon of smooth peanut butter. Scoop peanut butter into mug, add cream and sweetener, then slowly stir in boiling hot coffee. Warning: using chunky peanut butter may result in injury.

PB Coffee 1

How did it taste? This may seem surprising, but it was actually very good. The PB gave the coffee a mild nutty flavour, and also made it a bit creamier, presumably due to the “butter” part.

I’m surprised this isn’t more common. There is hazelnut coffee (mmmmm) and almond coffee (mmmmm), so what’s so gross about peanut coffee? Nothing. Mmmmm! And butter? There’s already butter caramel coffee at Tim Horton’s. I’m just putting all this deliciousness together for the benefit of mankind. You’ll see; Starbucks will see this blog and copy my idea, and soon there will be peanut butter coffee wherever there are pretentious people willing to pay too much for it.

PB Coffee 2

One disclaimer, though. When you get to the bottom of the mug, there is a thick sludge of PB that didn’t want to dissolve. It feels like drinking warm snot. So, uh, there might be a few bugs to work out. But hey, the first 90% of the cup? Delicious! Try it!

About these ads
81 Comments leave one →
  1. April 18, 2009 6:15 pm

This a new one! I put so much creamer in my coffee, there is not much room for anything else. I do enjoy the taste of Hazelnut coffee and chocolate in coffee. For 100 flavors in coffee, check out http://www.cosmopolitancoffee.com

2. April 18, 2009 6:36 pm

I have not heard of this one. I like Hazelnut and chocolate flavored coffee. I thought this recipe sounded interesting until the “snot” reference; I don’t know if I’d want to see the sludge at the bottome of the cup. If you’re interested in tasting lots of different flavors in coffee, check out http://www.cosmopolitancoffee.com

• December 5, 2012 7:19 am

Use a *bouquet garni* containing the peanut butter. You will get the flavor, without the sludgy residue. Just like a teabag. All you need is a piece of cheesecloth fabric and string.

3. April 23, 2009 8:26 am

Yeah, I’ve added peanut butter AND chocolate to my coffee in the past (delicious!), but I haven’t tried PB all by itself. I really loved the Reese’s coffee, so I’ll probably dig it.

I love your new blog – I think it’s an awesome idea.

4. April 24, 2009 4:06 am

How did I wind up here? I don’t really even like coffee that much. But peanut butter, you are my weakness.

5. Meera permalink
    June 19, 2009 6:00 pm

I just tried this idea, and my dad walked in and jokingly suggested I add jelly. So I did, and it was actually really good. It’s like a sandwich in your coffee. Highly recommended.

6. June 19, 2009 8:49 pm

A genius suggestion! I hope you don’t mind if I steal it and post about it.

7. June 22, 2009 9:57 pm

You can’t argue with that logic. I’m going to have to give it a shot.
    Sweet blog by the way – very original.

8. June 26, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks dude.

9. Joan Davis permalink
    October 31, 2009 4:26 am

I remember my grandmother putting peanut butter in her coffee…back in 1975. I was only about 10 years old then. She’d give me a sip every now and then, and I remember it tasting really good.

10. January 29, 2010 8:46 pm

one word: NUTELLA.

11. January 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Nutella’s definitely on the to-try list. I love hazelnut and I love chocolate, so it can’t fail.

12. January 30, 2010 5:50 pm

There’s no butter in peanut butter.

• June 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Also, peanuts are legumes, not even nuts. So no comparison to “tree nuts.”

13. January 31, 2010 4:30 am

I just found your blog from reading Neatorama and I adore it! I love coffee and seriously, you inspired me to try the peanut butter one. So I tried it and I was dumbfounded, it was great! I mean, I have a new fave in coffee mixes! I put a dollop of the peanut butter in with a tablesppon of sugar and boiling coffee and used a hand mixer to get it well blended and though it has a sort of burnt peanut smell it tasted wonderful; I will definately do it again. Thank you so much for brightenning my day with your witty and awesomely funny posts and I look forward to reading more of your discoveries!

14. February 3, 2010 4:27 pm

Jasper: Certainly there is fatty butter-like stuff. Whatever.

Courtney: Thank you so much! I’m glad you enjoyed it; you technique sounds much better than mine. Your comment certainly brightened my day as well.

15. February 8, 2010 8:07 pm

You sir are barely scratching the surface of the spiral into a realm you cannot comprehend. I can categorically say that the best drink I’ve ever tasted was a Peanut Butter Mocha at the Davenport Lounge Coffee House at American University (Washington, DC). Apparently there’s a syrup. Until that time, I tried powdered peanut butter (PB2 as it’s called) and similar to what you have attempted here.

However, what you suggest with your quick formula reminds me of my greatest concoction to date: OATFFEE. I implore you to follow the link if you dare. http://www.notquitewrong.com/rosscottinc/2008/09/30/the-system-64/

16. February 9, 2010 8:02 pm

Oh my, I dared! Perhaps it’s time to start PuttingCoffeeinWeirdThings.com? Hmm.

Although, given that there is (delicious) oatmeal beer out there, oatmeal in coffee could be pretty not bad. Our logic is infallible, after all.

Also: I must find this mythical peanut butter syrup. Or travel to Washington.

Thank you sir.

17. February 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Got here from Rosscott, Inc. Glad he posted a link to your site, because PuttingWeirdThingsInCoffee.com is officially my new favorite site on the entire Internet! Congratulations.

18. February 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Thank you! You are my new favourite commenter on the entire internet.

19. Ciara permalink
    July 30, 2010 4:45 pm

I’ve actually been putting peanut butter in my coffee for a long time. I thought I was weird, so I googled “peanut butter coffee” and this blog showed up. I’m glad other people have discovered this too!

20. September 2, 2010 2:54 pm

We made it this morning prior to taking a glance to this blog. Being silly I wanted to see if anyone else has tried it. It was delicious, but we put coffee, sugar, peanut butter in a food processor. It blended it all together and put this expensive foam on top. There wasn’t any snot on the bottom of our cups. Maybe attempt this technique? We are going to try to see if anyone would be willing to try it at our restaurant.

21. Karii permalink
    September 11, 2010 3:40 pm

you should have blended it (:

22. Anonymous permalink
    November 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Let me act like a teenager and say: “OMG, I totally drink coffee with peanut butter all the time!!”

Everyone thought I was weird for this, so I Googled it. Of course, this was first on my search results!

23. January 29, 2011 1:06 pm

I am glad I’m not the only one with this idea. Is there any way to add pb to the coffee itself before it is brewed? Damn. Forgot to buy peanut butter. Why don’t you try it and post?! Put the peanut butter (aaaaand jelly?) in the filter first, then add the coffee. I also considered adding sesame/peanut oil, or the oil at the top of natural peanut butter, which just seems to be peanut oil and butter, I don’t know.
    So excited to find this website!

24. February 2, 2011 10:18 am

I randomly decided to try putting peanut butter in my coffee today, but googled it first just to reassure myself that I’m not totally insane. That’s when I found this post!

I only have crunchy peanut butter at home, so what I did was add it to the milk first.

I warmed the milk and PB mixture over the stove and stirred continuously till the butter part was fully dissolved.

Then I added the espresso to the milk and PB, and used a strainer to pour the whole thing into a cup so that I wouldn’t have to drink peanut pieces and globs of butter.

I love it! It’s delicious.

25. Hazen Purey permalink
    June 3, 2011 3:38 pm

HAHAHA!!

Bored at work and thought what the heck, why not add some peanut butter to my coffee. Only have crunchy so will have t0 be careful when the chunks of peanut are pouring in my mouth. Too funny that I decided to search it on the web after the fact.

Cheers

26. July 26, 2011 8:24 pm

I was considering putting the new Biscoff spread in my coffee, but couldn’t find that, so I googled “peanut butter coffee” and this came up. Now I will have to try both!

27. Anonymous permalink
    August 3, 2011 8:33 pm

Stumbled upon your recipe looking for a way to replicate a Skinny Peanut Butter Coffee & Chocolate served in a little coffee bar in La Parguera, PR. It was FANTASTIC! They used Ghirardelli chocolate, by the way. The Ghirardelli website does not have the recipe.

28. Anonymous permalink
    August 3, 2011 8:37 pm

Try it iced/blended to avoid the sludge of PB in the bottmo, it works! Use skim milk vs. creamer, even better!

29. Anonymous permalink
    August 25, 2011 2:50 am

I can’t drink black coffee very well and I don’t want to go to the store atm to get creamer. So i googled the one thing remotely fathomable I have to put in coffee ( like uhm I say no to soy sauce ) peanut butter. I mixed it in chunky peanutbutter straight from the carafe the best I could. and it ended up being a disaster in a cup. hardly drinkable. didnt taste aweful, but certainly not appetizing.

30. Anonymous permalink
    February 24, 2012 3:10 pm

I found this blog on Google just now thinking about whether anyone else has tried putting Peanut Oil in their coffee as well. Turns out, if you have freezer-smelling, dried coffee beans that have been sitting in the icebox for three weeks, it really tastes fresh again. Glad to find someone else try interesting coffee mixes. And now reading that peanut butter in coffee (with great deductive reasoning ;) ) is a good idea, I must now try it! Great post.

31. April 24, 2012 4:43 am

I actually just did this and then googled ‘peanut butter coffee’ to see if anyone else has done it.
    I’m not original. But I’m also not insane, my idea has been legitimized. :D
    It’s freakin’ delicious.

32. coffeeMAN permalink
    May 21, 2012 3:40 pm

All the pb sits at the bottom of the cup and tastes kind of gross at the end..

33. DianaJ permalink
    May 28, 2012 8:51 pm

I was on the verge of doing this so I had to Google it. I LOVE my toast n PB with coffee.. the combo is so tasty! If no bread a spoonful will do..& I thought pb coffe would be wicked! Imma try this!!!!

34. KEE permalink
    May 31, 2012 4:49 am

I too invented Peanut Butter Coffee. Then I went to the internet and found out I’m not the first. I put a spoon full of peanut butter in my mocha and just kept stirring it until it completely dissolved. There was nothing left at the bottom just a great tasting drink.

35. Anonymous permalink
    October 9, 2012 2:18 pm

Lately my coffee has been pretty flat and boring in the morning but adding peanut butter was the perfect kick! Thank you!! :)

36. Anonymous permalink
    October 9, 2012 6:56 pm

I googled peanut butter and coffee because I’ve long found that a slice of peanut butter toast while drinking my morning coffee, made the coffee taste deliciously more coffee-ish! I have no idea why, just always assumed this was one of those complimentary food pairings. Glad to know I wasn’t the only one who found them complimentary.

37. Mary permalink
    January 29, 2013 7:11 am

I read about bulletproof coffee yesterday using grass fed salt free butter in your coffee, of which I had none. But I do have coconut oil, so I tried that this am. Just stirred in a teaspoon of it into my mug, and still added cream and sweetner like always. Very tasty. Provides lip balm too!

38. February 8, 2013 10:44 pm

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not
    writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted
    to say wonderful blog!

39. February 22, 2013 8:14 am

I ran out of creamer and decided to add peanut butter to try it…my officemate told me it was gross, so I google it, and lo and behold, here I am! Unfortunately, my peanut butter was all natural chunky, so it wasn’t all that great. I think I’ll just stick to the creamer next time :( Although I do suspect Nutella will probably be good.

40. Steve Provancher permalink
    February 26, 2013 4:02 pm

I like to put Chocolate Protien Powder in that morning cup of coffee.

41. April 30, 2013 7:48 am

What’s strange is that I used the same logic to come to this conclusion, A+B = good, B+C = good, therefore A+C = good. I also had the same thoughts as you – it has a kind of hazelnut flavor. We do need a way to remove the sludge at the bottom though, I was thinking either blend the coffee or use peanut flour.

42. 2thpic permalink
    June 13, 2013 3:29 pm

i combine……………
    coffee, all natural peanut butter, oats, protein powder and wheat germ to make a high protein packed get you going mix. The consistency is like reg oatmeal but with a kick start to your workout.

43. 2thpic permalink
    June 13, 2013 3:32 pm

i also mix straight dry espresso directly into my pb when i make a pb sandwich.

44. Los Angeles Video Production permalink
    August 3, 2013 7:47 am

My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find many of your post’s to be exactly I’m looking for.

Would you offer guest writers to write content available
    for you? I wouldn’t mind producing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome web site!

45. September 19, 2013 6:22 pm

Biggby Coffee chains have had peanut butter syrup before to make peanut butter coffee in the past, and some franchises will do a Reese’s coffee.

46. November 25, 2013 2:01 pm

I am trying to find peanut butter coffee to buy online and here I am. Guess the obvious answer should have been “put it in” but hey, it is the technology age, why not google how to buy it?!

47. Anonymous permalink
    January 26, 2014 2:00 pm

You have to try PB2, its powdered to it dissolved right away. =D

• Anonymous permalink
      February 15, 2014 9:00 am

This is what I do! I also use the chocolate PB2, yummmm!

48. January 28, 2014 3:39 pm

Having read this I believed it was rather informative.
    I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this informative article together.

I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading
    and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!

49. February 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Good call! I tip my hat to you, sir.

50. April 12, 2014 11:54 pm

Hi to every body, it’s my first pay a visit of this website; this
    weblog includes awesome and actually fine information for readers.

[I'm leaving this spam up just because it's hilarious --Phronk]

51. June 4, 2014 9:05 am

This is a nice blog i should say, I generally i do
    not post remarks on many other blogs but would like to point
    out that this post definitely compelled me to do so!

52. June 4, 2014 5:55 pm

That is, if I’m keen to pay out the $a hundred bucks or so to
    buy it. Jawhorses jaws open wide enough to accommodate a 30″ door, allowing the user to attach a door to its frame easily and with just one person–and of course the Jawhorse-set a door onto its frame. She mentioned that she was looking for “online study material that was progressive and brief and didn’t take much preparation.

53. August 8, 2014 12:00 am

h – CG also resets metabolism rates and protects the healthy fat which
    cushions the organs and other tissues. Your impatience and excitement might get the best of you, which is why it’s important to know
    the accuracy rates of at-home pregnancy tests. Until now, the only 100% approved items for moisturizing on the HCG diet have been pure baby oil and mineral oil because unlike other oils, they have no nutritional value and are will not be absorbed by the skin.

54. August 8, 2014 3:54 am

It is defined as the lowering of the core body temperature.

Keep in mind the Cooper Mountain resort design their activities.
    So, you will be guided accordingly and will learn better
    and faster.

55. August 8, 2014 10:16 pm

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the pictures on this
    blog loading? I’m trying to figure out if its a problem on my end
    or if it’s the blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

56. August 16, 2014 7:36 am

Pretty section oof content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert thzt I acquire
    actually enjpyed account your blog posts. Any way I’ll
    be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

57. August 16, 2014 2:10 pm

ocení váš obsah. Prosím, dejte mi vědět. Děkuji

58. August 17, 2014 6:07 am

Intercambio de enlaces es otra cosa pero salvo es simplemente colocación de la otra persona sitio web enlace en su página en adecuado lugar y otra persona también lo
    hará parecido for usted.

59. August 18, 2014 2:16 pm

Unquestionably believe that which you stated.
    Your favourite reason seemed to be on the net the easiest factor
    to take note of. I say to you, I definitely get irked even as other people think about concerns that they
    plainly don’t understand about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and defined out
    the whole thing with no need side-effects , people can take a signal.

Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

60. August 18, 2014 4:41 pm

is updated frequently with free advice about Google Ad – Words
    strategy, tactics, tips tricks and techniques for success in Ad – Words advertising.
    But unfortunately not every request will get approved. You need to
    make your potential customers aware of your products and services to ensure that
    they recognize them as valid solutions to their everyday problems.

61. August 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Hello there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out
    and say I truly enjoy reading your articles.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that cover
    the same topics? Many thanks!

62. August 20, 2014 6:08 am

The standalone drug, Alogliptin, has been studied in 14 clinical trials which involved approximately 8,500 patients with type 2 diabetes.
    Because of this, all men, of all ages, who experience persistent performance issues are urged to see a doctor for a full physical exam.
    Please check with your doctor if you have some of the following symptoms:

63. August 21, 2014 11:38 am

She was the ideal of most teenage girls who strived to achieve that level of thin. We simply love HardX.
    Therefore, you will have a clear idea on the subject
    of your purchase. Hard X now, Blazer and Benny are walking
    up a cliff behind his house.

64. August 21, 2014 8:48 pm

Hola, ​​puesto aseado. No un problema con su sitio web en web explorador, mayo comprobar esto?

IE sigue sin embargo, es el mercado líder de mercado y un gran Parte de otras personas van dejar de
    lado gran debido a este problema.

65. August 21, 2014 10:27 pm

I enjoy reading an article that will make people think. Also, thank you for allowing me
    to comment!

66. August 22, 2014 6:33 am

When someone writes an paragraph he/she keeps the idea of a
    user in his/her brain that how a user can understand it.
    Thus that’s why this article is amazing. Thanks!

67. August 24, 2014 2:10 am

During the night we are very inactive, we may not sleep well, we might have pain, or hormones such as with menopause could
    be affecting blood sugars. These alternative elements promote weight loss and many diabetic people turn to these:.
    After what is most often years if not decades of
    battling weight issues such as food addiction, one cannot
    just expect to lose weight in an instant.

68. August 25, 2014 7:42 am

Meine Coder
    Es ist great, dass Sie immer thoughts daraus Artikel sowie von unseren Dialog aus hier und mit

Ich mag die wertvollen hilfreich Infos Ihnen in Ihrem Artikel.
    Ich werde Blog und prüfen Sie wieder hier häufig regelmäßig.
    Ich bin gewisse Ichh viele neue Sachen hier genau richtig!
    Viel Glück Viel Glück für die nächste! Website ‘s Post regelmäßig aktualisiert werden
    Hallo für alle, wie ist alles, ich denke, jeder wird immer mehr von diesem Website, und
    Ihre Ansichten sind good zugunsten Zuschauer. für
    Blog, ich Ihnen von Fehler gefunden etwas anderes, Irgendwie Ich bin jetzt hier und
    möchte nur sagen, vielen Dank dank wunderbare unterhaltsam Blogs (ich liebe auch das Thema / Design), ich habe keine Zeit, um zu lesen, durch alles auf die Minute
    Moment, aber ich habe Buch-Kennzeichnung und inklusive Ihre
    RSS-Feeds hinzugefügt, so, wenn ich Zeit habe werde ich
    zurück sein, las sehr viel mehr, Bitte halten Sie die great jo.
    für Blog, ich Ihnen von
    Sie sind tatsächlich a ausgezeichnete Webmaster. Der site
    Frieden erstaunliche. Es scheint, dass Sie Sie dabei jede einzigartige
    Trick. Auch In Zugänge, Meister. Sie haben geführt a ausgezeichnete Tätigkeit auf dieser Angelegenheit!

69. August 25, 2014 9:09 am

Heya io sono per la prima volta qui. Mi sono imbattuto trovato questo forum e lo trovo
    veramente molto utile e mi ha aiutato un sacco molto.

Spero di dare qualcosa di nuovo e di aiuto

70. August 25, 2014 11:19 am

Normálně I ne přečtené článek na blogy, ale I
    bych říci, že to write-up velmi nucený a je! Vaše psaní chuť byl ohromen mě.

Děkuji, dost skvělý článek.

71. August 27, 2014 5:29 am

whoah this weblog is great i like reading your articles.
    Stay up the greeat work! Youu realize, lots of people are searching around for this info,
    you can aid them greatly.

72. August 27, 2014 8:04 am

Ik kreeg deze website uit mijn pal die gedeeld met me inzake website en nu deze keer ben ik browsen webpagina en het lezen zeer informatief inhoud op
    dit moment.
    De andere dag, terwijl ik aan het werk was, mijn zus neef stal mijn Apple iPad en getest om te zien of het kan overleven een veertig klapvoet, gewoon zo dat ze een youtube sensatie kan zijn. Mijn iPad is
    nu verwoest en ze heeft 83 views. Ik weet dat dit volledig off topic, maar ik moest delen met iemand!

Trackbacks